Mark Wahlberg’s Contraband has bested Disney’s classic Beauty and the Beast (3D) for the number spot at the box office this weekend.
Contraband managed to bring in $24.1 million during its opening weekend which was enough to put it at the number one spot this weekend knocking down last weeks number one The Devil Inside to #6. Disney’s re-release of their 1992 classic Beauty and the Beast (3D) landed in #2 with $18.5 million which while still good for movie that has been in theaters in almost 20 years, was not enough to beat out what The Lion King (3D) did back in the fall of 2011 when it managed a $30.1 million opening weekend. Tom Cruise’s Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol moved down to the #4 spot with $11.5 million and the Dolly Parton/Queen Latifah helmed Joyful Noise opened in the #4 spot with $11.3 million. Rounding out the top 5 this weekend was Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows with $8.4 million.
Weekend Box Office Top 10
1. Contraband, $24.1 million
2. Beauty and the Beast (3D), $18.5 million
3. Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol, $11.5 million
4. Joyful Noise, $11.3 million
5. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, $8.4 million
6. The Devil Inside, $7.9 million
7. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, $6.8 million
8. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked , $5.8 million
9. War Horse , $5.6 million
10. The Iron Lady , $5.4 million
Next weekends new releases include Haywire, Redtails, and Underworld Awakening.