In an exciting episode of SYTYCD the remaining 16 competitors compete and the bottom 6 contestants were revealed.
Nigel Lythgoe – Judge, executive producer
Mary Murphy – Judge, Ballroom expert
Christina Applegate – Guest Judge, Emmy winner, Tony and Golden Globe nominee
Like last week, America voted 6 dancers onto the judge’s chopping block. This week however, the panel gets to save 4 dancers instead of 2.
America’s Bottom Boys:
- Dareian Kujawa – Contemporary
- George Lawrence II – Contemporary
- Brandon Mitchell – Stepping *SYTYCD First!*
America’s Bottom Girls:
- Lindsay Arnold – Latin Ballroom
- Eliana Girard – Ballet
- Amber Jackson – Contemporary
It’s interesting to see that in this season, many of the So You Think You Can Dance judge favourites are consistently placed in the bottom six. Last episode, Mary and Nigel said that they couldn’t be more impressed with Lindsay’s dancing and that she was becoming a great contender. When I interviewed Mia Michaels before the Top 20 were revealed, she said that she was most excited to work with Eliana, who is “spectacular” and “amazing”; Daniel who she “loved”, and who was eliminated last week; and Dareian, or “Dare” as she calls him, who has “something really special”.
As per usual the show gives us a little chance to get to know the different dancers. Throughout the episode, all 8 couples dance and each tell us a little something that we don’t already know about their partner.
About the Boy…
- Janelle about Dareian: He is a dare devil on and off stage. He skateboards*…my partner is CRAZY!
*camera cuts to Dareian doing and dangerous tricks on his skateboard
- Tiffany about George: What America knows about George is that he runs track, but what America doesn’t know about him is that at his first track meet he peed his pants at the sound of the starting pistol.
- Amber about Brandon: He’s in the main crew in Step Up Revolution.
- Cole about Lindsay: She has this foot phobia, she does not want any sort of contact with them whatsoever or she will freak out. It is my goal that by the end of the season, she will give me a foot massage.
- Cyrus about Eliana: She’s been raising birds since she was a little kid. She has a love for them. One night she slept with her bird and slept on it, she killed it…
- Brandon about Amber: She’s a hair stylist. It makes perfect sense with the different hair styles she has every week!
About the Girls…
This episode also treated its live audience and us viewers with an exciting performance by Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre’s male stars. They did an excerpt of “the Hunt” which has been a huge international success.
Unfortunately the judges did have to cut someone. They were unhappy about letting go of this week’s girl, and begrudgingly let go of their boy. As it would turn out, they cut a couple: Amber and Brandon.
The next episode of SYTYCD is postponed for two weeks, but on August 15th the Top 14 will be competing for your votes! Each couple will also be dancing a favourite Mia Michaels routine from past seasons.
For notifications on TV recaps, film reviews, more exciting Q&As, and fashion follow me on twitter:@RebeccaLamarche