Want some fashion-flexibility this fall? Try the increasingly popular trend of a detachable collar. This slightly quirky statement is a polished way to embellish your neckline.
From Lagerfeld’s KARL line, to Miu Miu, this slightly androgynous style is all about the bold, the silly, and the different. KARL focuses on structure and textures. The Faux-Leather Collar comes in smooth black and cracked metallic-pewter leather. Both of these collars go up the majority of the neck, fold over and down, and double-button across the throat. KARL’s sequin collars, in black and silver, rest against the base of the neck and fan out against the collar bone.
Miu Miu’s collars are predominantly designed with fabrics which rest against the base of the neck and fall down into either a rounded or defined point. The most distinctive Miu Miu collar is undoubtedly what I’ve dubbed the naked lady collar. This detachable fashion collar throws caution to the wind and goes for the triple threat: bold, silly, and different. It’s cut with a pointed tip and comes in a pale light yellow silk. Finally there is a splash-white 2-D naked woman sprawled out on each lapel, outlined and detailed in clean black lines.
The best part of this trend is diversity. These collars are tailored to suit your style and can help project your desired feel of the day. Because of this I think Falconiere, designed by Juniper Rose, does detachable collars best. I can’t even say how in love I am with so many of her outrageous designs. No two of these collars are alike, and all are intricately designed in a fashion that distinguishes its wearer. Here are three of my favourite Falconiere detachable collars; but I’m telling you, there are countless other gems out of this New York City hot spot.
- The High Maiden Collar transports you to medieval times and tells the story of a highborn lady preparing for battle in plated maille (at least that’s the story it tells me!).
- The Flower Bomb Collar combines elegance, beauty and strength. It’s woven with chain, adorned with crystals, and garnished with beads.
- The Edwardian Feathered Ruff is an exotic and alluring collar. It mixes textures by spilling feathers down the chest bone and placing light catching jewels against a matte suede collar.
Falconiere’s medieval inspired styles will leave you questioning the differences between “collar” and “jewelry”.
Quick Styling Tips:
- The bolder the better. Sure, you can add a delicate little collar to your outfit – and it’ll look adorable – but what’s fashion forward are those standouts pieces that leave people twisting their necks to get a glimpse of yours.
- Mix patterns, textures, and structures when styling your outfit with a detachable collar. The more dimensions you can create the more you’re rocking this trend.
Leave a comment below and tell us what you think about detachable collars; tweet us your collar pics @entertainista
For notifications on TV recaps, Film reviews, exciting Q&As, and Fashion follow me on twitter: @RebeccaLamarche